Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I change my Gnome screensaver without the GUI?

I'm running Ubuntu 7. I chose the ';molecule'; screen saver, and it locks my system. When I open the GUI tool to change screen saver preferences, it attempts to preview the molecule screen saver and again locks my system. Can I change my screen saver from the command line or maybe by editing some file?How do I change my Gnome screensaver without the GUI?
Press alt-f2 and then type in gconf-editor. then go to apps-%26gt;gnome-screensaver and change mode to blank-only. This will change the screen saver to only display a blank. Then use the gui and change it to something else.How do I change my Gnome screensaver without the GUI?
Open a terminal window and type:

gconf-editor



Expand Apps and find ';gnome-screensaver';



Find the key called ';themes'; and edit it to say ';screensavers-personal-slideshow';



This will set it up to do a slideshow of you Pictures folder.



You should now be able to get back in to the GUI tool to change your screensaver.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment