Monday, June 6, 2011

How do I change the screen resolution in Ubuntu on the PS3?

I'm running Intrepid Ibex on a PS3, but unfortunately the screen resolution is so lousy (maybe 540x300 at best) that the screen is enormously compacted. I like Ubuntu, but not like this. I have an HDTV that supports 1080i, I think, but it's connected to the PS3 via RCA composite cables, the TV doesn't have an HDMI slot. How do I change the screen resolution?How do I change the screen resolution in Ubuntu on the PS3?
Composite is 480i, so the best effective resolution you would get with that would be 640x480, and it may not be very sharp. Component (3 video cables and 2 audio cables) is capable of higher resolutions, but I have never done that in Ubuntu (my TVs tend to overscan component). Best would be HDMI (which should include sound) or HDMI to DVI cable (sound would be separate), depending upon what input your HDTV has.



I do not have a PS3, so I don't know if D-Terminal means it has VGA or something else. If it does have VGA that should also work, but may require some configuration or adjustment, because VGA is not as automatic as HDMI or DVI.

No comments:

Post a Comment